Riding Pi

So the bike (demo) was delivered near the end of July. For the rest of the summer and well into the fall, I rode the bike an average of 20 miles a day. I enjoy(ed) the bike. It felt like a cruiser with the weight at over 60 lbs.

The bike lived up to expectations in terms of power and range.

Marcus Hays once said "park this bike next to a Ferrari and it will compete favorable for attention". I happened onto our Wheels of Italy car show one Saturday last summer and parked the bike next to a red Ferrari and he was right. Lot's of attention. 

About the end of October as our (in Minneapolis) warm riding season comes to a close I was caught about 4 miles from home and the motor failed - almost seized right up. I walked the bike home - not a happy man - and sent off a text to Marcus telling of the failure. He offered to send me a new motor/wheel assembly but I declined the offer thinking I could do fine on my peddle bike until the bike I ordered was ready. I figured we were coming onto 7 months from order date. It had to be here soon.

I asked when he thought the bike would be ready and after describing some supplier issues, he said

"Summation = 4 more weeks for your bike."

I could easily wait. I figured, even if it's this late, once it arrives I'll have it for a very long time.

A few more delays that are inconsequental - winter arrived - and the riding season seemed far off and I became busy with my business.

Then in February I inquired as to the progress of the yellow (mine) bike. Marcus replied:

"Regarding the yellow bike I believe realistically we're 12 weeks away. We found a flaw in the head set bearing stack. The solution (a new crown race and compression ring design) required a ramp up of a new supplier. "

I've never never been this patient with any vendor or business but I was intrigued and enthralled with the design. Worth waiting for right? My wife thinks I'm totally crazy at this point.

More weeks without any sign of delivery and I finally asked for a replacement motor/wheel to install on the red demo bike. At least I could ride it again.

Around mid-April I threw my hands up on the air and wrote to Marcus giving him the drop dead deadline of May 1. Either complete the yellow bike or send me a refund after which I would ship the demo back.

His email to  me on the 25th of April:

"Hi Tony,

We're processing a refund. You should receive this first week of May.

Marcus"


That was the last I heard from Marcus Hays, Founder and CEO of Pi Mobility. My attorney wrote the usual threatening letter "Pay the refund or lose your first born" but no response.

I thought seriously about taking Pi to small claims court on the promise - in writing - of the refund but travel expense (not recoverable under the law) might mean throwing good money after bad.

There is no way to tell if they are continuing to run into technical problems, are running out of $$, both, or more. 

So the solution? Such as it is.......

There are a couple of serious problems with the demo bike.

1. The Nuvinci hub works fine but the controller wont stay attached to the hub. I have resorted to using a couple of zip ties to hold it on. Inelegant but very workable.

2. The wiring was a mess with a capital M. I guess it makes sense in a prototype model to keep adding wires as new ideas come to mind. We went through and got everything hooked up correctly. Next step for me or future owner (yes the bike is for sale) will be to remove the battery/controller combo and redo/solder all the wiring on the bench.

This bike is primitive compared to the promises made on Pi's website in terms of features and gizmos but it rides beautifully and has the power and range I need for Minneapolis commuting.

As I'm writing this, the bike is in the paint booth (we stripped it of all its red paint) awaiting color today.

In the next post, I'll put up picture of the process and the bike as it sits today. Then I'll move into a review of my new Stromer to which I  have become very attached.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog